About That Roof Leak

10 September 2016

Since the next step on the shed is to put back the siding and flooring, I realized that I should fix the roof leak before we start those. My first thought was to use some galvanized roofing from an old well house that was situated about 30 feet in front of the shed. At some point a LARGE tree fell on the well house and leveled it. I dug through the weeds and pulled out the best piece of roof that I could find.


Unfortunately after cleaning it off and flattening it out, I found too many cracks and pin holes to make it a good repair piece. So I'll have to buy a new piece of roof.

Here is the corner that needs repair. It looks like all of the nails in this corner let go or rusted away allowing the corner to be lifted by the wind. Other the years this caused the metal to crack along the bend.


I removed the section that had the crack in it.




And put in a new piece. The new roof panels are still the right width, but the bends in the metal are not as sharp as the on the old roofing, so they don't match up really nicely, but well enough.


I checked over the rest of the roof and replaced loose nails with screws and filled small holes with polyurethane roofing caulk.

Comments

  1. Thank you for the tips. As someone who has experienced a leak before and ended up paying a lot to get it repaired, this will serve me well in the future. Just getting in to DIY and posts like this make it seem less of a challenge. Although I must admit that hiring a pro plumber offers a better result.

    Terence Warner @ Brunwin Roofing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love do-it-yourself projects like this. You had a potentially serious problem and you found a way to fix it yourself. You probably also have yourself a lot of money in the process. Thank you for the step by step instructions on how you handling this issue. It may come in handy in the future!

    Pleasance Faast @ Shelton Roof

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment