A Little Taste Of Work On The Porch

28 September 2016

Now that the shed is completely rebuilt, it's time to do something about the unseen forces still at work on its walls and floor. First I laid down some Taurus SC around the 9 foundation piers. Then I applied Bora-Care to the floor, all the corner and wall studs, and the bottom 1/4 of the entire outside of the shed.

 

While the Bora-Care treatment was drying, I decided to open up the worst section of porch flooring on the house. You may remember this photo from an earlier post.


I started by removing the aluminum storm door and most of the old HVAC duct work to get those out of the way. Well, they weren't really in the way, but it made me feel better. Then I removed the plywood patch.


And then removed the tongue and groove flooring. Just like the areas near the two sets of steps on the front of the house, this area has suffered from rain splashing off of the stone steps (no gutters).





The only thing holding most of the floor joists in place was the flooring itself. And apparently some of the electrical wiring!


I removed the old screen door - saving it for use again later.


And then cleaned up all the trash.


You can see that this area has been repaired before, and the extensive damage that still exists. The flooring boards that I removed are 3/4" thick. Most of the other areas of the porch are 1" thick. Even so, I will save what I can in case I can use it later.



You can see in these two pictures the biggest dilemma. That the floor structure is not sound enough to be able to use it to lift the house off of the foundation. We will need to be able to fix the floor structure and foundation at the same time.



I just received a new book, Renovating Old Houses: Bringing New Life to Vintage Homes by George Nash. I've only skimmed through it so far but it seems to have a lot of very good information. I already have another book, The Window Sash Bible: a A Guide to Maintaining and Restoring Old Wood Windows by Steve Jordan which I got a few weeks ago. I'm sure I will be referring to these regularly as our work progresses.

Comments