Now where was I...

14 August 2016

So I finally get to turn my attention back to the farm proper after being distracted by the mobile home. Some things will still come up. They always do. But it's good to feel like we're moving more forward again instead of sort of sideways. Here's the last of the sideways work.

After living with my fast and cheap roof over the back door for a couple weeks, I found the functionality to be lacking. Due to surface tension, rain water would run down the sides of the roof tarp and then inward along the bottom edge enough to basically provide almost no rain protection. So I decided to go ahead and make the front porch roof with corrugated steel panels.


And of course, this worked out so well that I had to redo the back porch roof too.


So now we're all settled in.


So while I've been working on the mobile home, mother nature has quietly and purposefully been taking back what has been, is, and what always will be hers.

 
 

An hours worth of work with my lopers, shears, and machete gave me enough space to work again, and warmed me up for the job of removing a big root from where one of the piers used to be, and needs to be again. I say "warmed me up", but really, it's 93 degrees with 80% humidity and 75 degree dew point and no breeze to speak of.


After a fair bit of digging, chopping, and sweating, progress was made.


And eventually the earth let go of it.


Another tree stump near the house has sort of been in my way for a while. So I grabbed my axe, shovel, digging bar, and the tractor known as Tinkerbell and went to work on that (yes, the tractor is named Tinkerbell. That's what happens when you have a daughter. Everything gets a name.). Eventually it too gave way to determination and persisitance.




The next step on the shed is to rebuild the piers and get all nine of them even. As a baseline, I'm going to use the back left corner where the original builders appeared to have salvaged some sort of large concrete post base. Maybe it came from the long gone Fuller Mill covered bridge, or the steel bridge that replaced it, or the also gone mill from the other side of the road. If you look closely you can see that there are 4 pieces of 1/2" threaded rod that have been bent over flat. In any case, it's sort of interesting. And I don't feel like it's worth the effort to move it. I know it's leaning. I'm hoping that since it's been there for 80-100 years already, that it's not likely to move any more. I will use some concrete to make a level support on top of it.


Comments