Procrastination!

24 January 2019

After getting the porch roof 95% done and the tarp on the second floor all tucked in the way I want it, I'm finding it pretty easy to put off getting in to the repair of the roof on the second floor. In my defense, it's been hard to find a good stretch of non-rainy days lately.

So I've done a little more repair work on the porch. The corner of the sill beam on the porch was a little rotted already, and got damaged some more when the corner post was smashed down by the tree. It needs to be repaired before we can set the corner post back where it needs to be.


I used an oscillating saw to make some initial cuts, then spent some quality time with a hammer and chisel to be able to patch in a new section of wood.


Once the new piece was glued and screwed in place, I reset the original corner post.


After that, I was able to replace the ginger bread details, fascia board and crown molding.



Next I decided to put the flooring back in the upstairs Jack-n-Jill bathroom.


Most of these boards were in the bathroom before we demo'd it, but not back in their original spots. Some of the flooring came from other parts of the house to make up for pieces that were rotted or broke when we removed them.


Then I did the same thing to the pantry, laundry, and half bath on the first floor.


Over half of these boards used to be in the kitchen. No worries cause we've ordered new flooring for the kitchen and dining room. This floor and the bathroom floor upstairs will get Amy's refinishing touch.


Then I tackled the "new" wall between the living room and dining room, covering the living room side with bead boards salvaged from another house.



The salvaged bead board came from a nearby house that Amy and I had gotten permission to go through. It turns out that Marion Phillips, son of Dr. Charles Phillips, owned both our house and the salvage house from the 1920's through the 60's. Most of the exterior siding had been removed long before we showed up. We have removed the bead board from nearly all of the interior walls.


And finally, I repaired a broken stair tread on the steps.


Coming soon - Bathroom vent work and more bead board!

Comments