Piers and Paint

13 September 2022

After finishing the exterior paint on the north side of house, Amy moved back around to the south side of the house to paint the back side of the 1910's bathroom addition.



I dug dirt out for the pier and skirt wall footers for the porch rebuild.



My sister-in-law's boyfriend Don came out to help me mix and pour the cement for the footers.






Amy moved her painting operation around to the east side where she began to paint the back side of the kitchen. If you're wondering why the chimney looks different from top to bottom, at some point, someone stained the lower half of the chimney red. Later, some of the lower brick work was repointed.



Otis proved his worth again, pulling our 3000 lbs tool trailer and carrying 2000 lbs of brick in the bed that I had picked up after work, saving us yet another delivery charge.


Once the concrete footers had set up a few days, I started building the piers and the skirt wall. I'm building the piers in the same pattern as the other piers around the front and side porch were built, but using new 'old' looking bricks and modern mortar with terra cotta colorant added. Not completely up to code I'm sure, but many times better load bearing than how the originals were built.




Meanwhile, Amy finished the back side of the kitchen!




Comments