Some Call It Nesting

5 December 2019

After our push to get moved in to the house, the past month has been a little more relaxed in most ways. We hosted Thanksgiving, which is NOT relaxing, but went very smoothly thanks to all the help and support we had from family and friends.

Otis also received some much needed TLC. He has been shining a ABS brake warning light at us for the past couple of years. A cable going to one of the wheel sensors had come loose from a retaining clip and got worn through by rubbing against a tire. In my efforts to replace the sensor, I ended up at Napa auto parts where I learned that AAA members were getting 20% off all auto parts during November. Yay! When the dust finally settled, I had replaced the ABS wheel sensor, the front brake pads, the water pump, the fuel filter water drain valve, the radiator fan clutch, the radiator fan blade, and done a complete coolant system flush.

We used a large book shelf as a pantry when we first moved over from the mobile home. Using the original shelving from the original kitchen and dining room, we built these pantry shelves.


Just before Thanksgiving, I installed a doorbell in the same spot where a doorbell had been some time ago.


I also built a cabinet and shelf to hold our microwave oven and provide a little shelf space between the stove and refrigerator.


A pot belly table, or bakers table, completes our current plans for the kitchen, aside from decorating.


There's still plenty of work to go. There are also some quirks and kinks to figure out. My vision of sealing up the house to prevent air leaks is only half realized since we haven't done any work on the exterior yet. Our thermostats are only too happy to point this out each morning after a cold evening by showing us that the actual temperature is below our set point.


It also takes minutes for hot water to reach the kitchen and our master bathroom. No need for shaking heads though. A plan has been formulated, with input from Amy's father, and parts are on order to remedy this.

Comments

  1. OK!

    I've now read EVERY post and am blown away by all your work!

    And I thought MY house was a project!

    In particular, I was impressed with your dedication to properly rebuilding the storm-damaged porch and roof. Properly being the operative word.

    Oh, how I wish I had read your blog before you visited me! What a different tour I would have given!

    I also like the mismatched old dressers as new bathroom vanities!

    BIG hug to you two crazies!

    Note: Now that you have moved in, I think you should spend every summer helping me with my house! The cat is invited, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Ross for taking time out of your day to give us a tour! The old saying about pictures speaking a thousand words is true, but for subjects like your house, what you've done with it, and what you have left to do, they convey little of the feeling and perspective you get from being there. We loved meeting you, and seeing everything in person.

      I envy you for all the changes the house(s) have been through. Real challenges when one is trying to restore the place, but like I said, I love those who, what, where, when, and why puzzles of old houses.

      Likewise, if you're ever out to North Carolina with some spare time, we'll roll out the red carpet!

      Delete

Post a Comment