Snakes... Why Did It Have To Be Snakes?

24 June 2019

Work continues at the Old Doc Phillips place. We've installed our water heater! This was in the house when we bought it. I've cleaned it off and checked it for leaks We'll give it a shot. If it works, great! If not, well then we get a new water heater anyway.


Amy has been working hard painting, striping paint, and generally getting our doors and trim work ready for installation.




I've also done some more work on the island. First, I wrapped it in some of the left over bead board that we have.


Then I added a couple shelves. The shelf boards used to be the shelf boards inside some of the built in kitchen cabinets. The vertical supports are some old railing balusters that we found in the barn. The counter top will extend left from the sink over the dish washer (I can't wait to have a dish washer again!), right from the sink to cover the shelves, and across the back hopefully about 18".


We're going to reuse an old pedestal sink that was in the only bathroom in the house for the sink in the 1/2 bath near the kitchen. The one drawback is that the original hardware has the hot and cold water coming out of two separate spouts on either side of the sink. That arrangement would be too awkward for our intended use, so we needed to remove the old faucets. The old nuts resisted my attempts to turn them off with a wrench. And I didn't want to heat them up or cut them off. It was time to break out the big boy! My cordless impact wrench took the nuts off quick and easy!


In the realm of other significant steps forward, we have also finally signed a contract for an HVAC system. This was no small feat for us as we (I) have spent literally hours trying to gather opinions, compare costs and efficiencies, imagine different scenarios in my head. We've considered mini splits, heat pumps, propane heat, wood fired water heater, pellet fired water heater, geothermal, base board heat, standard duct systems, high velocity duct systems, hot water heated by a heat pump, hot water heated by a propane on demand water heater, and more. I was mired in analysis paralysis. We finally decided on two standard heat pump systems with electrical backup heat. The cost of propane in North Carolina is higher than the national average by quite a bit and natural gas isn't an option out here in the country. In order to help keep the cost down, and make sure certain things are done the way we want them, I am doing a lot of the prep work. Here I'm removing various bead board and trim off the walls under the stairs so we can build an enclosure for one of the return plenums.


Under the stairs. This spot was my last hope for finding something really interesting. Something hidden away for all these years since the house was built. Alas. All I found were two mouse nests and what is left of three dead snakes.




Coming up: More HVAC prep work and painting / finishing more rooms.

Comments