A New Home For The Water Heater

15 October 2017

Over the past month we've been busy on the house but also worked in a week long trip to the west coast. Amy ran with her niece Ari in the Urban Cow Half Marathon in Sacramento and the Flume Trail Half Marathon which started in the Spooner Lake State Park in NV and ended in Incline Village. We got to visit with family and do a little sight seeing as well. The Winchester Mystery House in San Jose was of particular interest because it was under construction from 1881 till 1922. The same time period that our house was built.


Back at our humble abode, we built the new floor structure for the mechanical room and the north side back porch. The large square openings will be trap doors for access underneath. I've set some planks across the joists so we can walk through here.



Then we went back to the kitchen/dining room/pantry area and put down the sub-floor. Originally the floor was just 1" thick tongue and groove pine. I asked the inspector about going back with that and he said no, we have to have a plywood or OSB subfloor because the crawlspace has to separate. I reminded him that the crawlspace will be sealed and inside the conditioned space. Nope, sorry, doesn't matter. *Sigh*.

Silver lining is that we will have a floor to walk on and work from much sooner than if we were going to rebuild the T&G floor right now. Figuring out how much usable flooring we have left and sourcing some square edged, non-pressure treated 5/4" board and setting up a large router work station would have taken a while. In goes the plywood!





It's nice to be walking around on a floor again. Next project is to rebuild the small roof addition next to the bathroom addition. This originally covered the stair access down to the cellar under the bathrooms. There used to be a coal or oil burning furnace or water heater in the cellar. It was attached to the chimney that fell down.


Amy's dad, Bob, is visiting again, so we put him to work. Siding and trim come off first.



Then the sheathing and wall studs come out.


Then the siding over the roof, and the tin roof panels comes off. Under the tin is an earlier shingle roof.


Then the roof and wood frame structure come down, exposing a previous repair to this area with plywood.


There was evidence that water was still getting behind the siding, and I wanted to do a better repair job on the wall studs in this area. I decided to take everything down and fix it to my satisfaction. The room that is exposed to the left will be a downstairs master bathroom, with the bedroom to the right.


In place of the rotted or missing 1" thick sheathing that used to be here, we're using deck boards.


The wall sheathing is completed and we've started framing the side wall and roof.


It's supposed to rain tonight so I wanted to get the roof completed. We've put back the tin roof with flashing below and above the top edge and left side of the roof. I've put plastic and plywood up against the walls to try to keep them dry tonight. This is where we are planning to put the water heater. I hope it appreciates how much work we're putting in to this.


When we were installing the subfloor in the bathroom, I had a small accident with our table saw. First time in 17 years of regular table saw use. It was just before lunch. I was hungry, trying to finish making about 2 dozen small sleepers to fill a gap between the OSB and the top of the cinder block foundation. I was using a push stick in my right hand, but I decided I could keep the waste piece from flying away by holding it with my left finger. I got careless. This was a stupid idea...

If you're squeamish, now is the time to stop reading.

The blade caught the waste piece and in a tiny fraction of a second later also grabbed my gloved finger. It hurt. A lot. I held my hand over my head and took a moment to turn the saw off. Then, fearing the worst, I looked at my finger - and it was still mostly there. After some first aid, and lunch, here is what my glove looked like.


And here is what my finger looked like.


And here is my finger 2 weeks later.


I was very, very, very, lucky. This was a reminder to me to follow my own advice about power tools, and saws in particular. Never be in a hurry. Cut with the saw like you're using one for the very first time. Always be aware of where your hands and fingers are and always keep them away from the blade.

Next up, finishing the mechanical room and closing off one of the two doorways in to the downstairs master bathroom.

Comments

  1. I always enjoy your blogs and have been vicariously restoring as I read! Also very glad to know you were able to eat lunch AND keep your finger. - Amy O.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying our journey. Yes, I surprised myself at how quickly I mentally moved on after knowing that my finger was still whole (more or less) ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment