Shed Siding and Finish Floor

11 September 2016

Our work on the shed progresses. We had stored the old wood siding and flooring on sawbucks near the shed and I had made a modest effort to cover it all with tarps. This didn't work as well as I had hoped, so the wood got somewhat wet. The weather lately has been fairly rain free giving us the chance to dry it out.



We started on the front because I expect to run short of original siding that's good enough to use. This way any new materials we have to use will go on the back of the shed out of sight. Thank you Mayfair Mistress.





With the front mostly done, we switched to the right side of the shed since it faces the house. After a few courses we stopped because I ran out of nails. Poor planning.


Without Amy to help me a couple days later, I turned my attention to the floor. There's plenty of this wood to use because the bottom half of the interior walls were covered with the same 5-1/2" tongue and groove pine as the floor. The only down side is that nearly all of it has a fair amount of powder post beetle damage.


These boards show a lot of powder post beetle damage. When people come to visit and they hesitate at the doorway because it looks like the floor is ready to collapse, we will have achieved our goal.


Half way done.


All done.


When I was picking the boards to use after we cleaned and dried them, I noticed that there are still some active powder post beetles in the wood. I will give this a couple weeks to thoroughly dry out and then treat the whole interior of the shed with BoraCare. After that's dry, I'm thinking of applying a water sealant to the whole shed inside and out.

Comments

Post a Comment