A Shed Completed

22 September 2016

I have continued to work on completing the shed. Amy and I got the rest of the usable original siding up. We ran out of the old siding about 1/3 of the way up the left side and nothing on the back. We briefly considered scavenging some siding off of the barn, but I decided against that mostly because I didn't want to start disturbing the barn walls without stabilizing it first. After checking around for possible alternatives, I went to Bowers Lumber in Thomasville where I purchased all of the 1x8x16 cedar that they had. 25 boards. Just enough to finish the siding.


With Amy off to work, I had to figure out a way to put up the siding boards while working alone. Not a problem since I already had some clips that would work perfectly to solve this problem. These clips are intended to be used to put up crown molding when working alone. You would hammer a small nail up in the corner, hook the clip on it, then rest the free end of the crown molding on it while you secured the other end. Once you get back to the clip, you just unhook it from the nail and finish nailing the crown in place. The nail that held the clip just gets left behind the molding. I used a screw instead of a nail. I rested the free end of the board on the hook, nailed in the far end with one nail, then came back, pivoted the board out of the way, removed the hook and screw, then nailed the board in place.


The original boards are 6" - 6-1/4" wide and were installed with a 5-1/2" reveal. To maintain this, I had to rip down all of the new boards from 7-1/2" wide to 6-1/4". 16' is too long for one person to handle on my table saw, but my circular saw with a guide worked just fine. I think the safest way to do this is on the ground.


And up the side I went.



And then I sided the back of the shed.


I put three windows in the shed for light and ventilation. I will cover these later from the inside with 1/4" or 1/2" wire cloth.




The original door is now too short and too narrow for my new doorway.


I rebuilt the "Z" framing on the back of the door and added a couple pieces of leftover siding to expand it. After installing the door and trimming out the window openings, the shed is done!


Amy doesn't like the bright new patch on the back right corner of the roof. She suggested painting it. I think I've read about treating metal to age it. Or I could swap the new patched roof panel from the right side of the shed for a panel from the left side. But it's not high on my priority list right now. I'm just going to enjoy this little milestone.

Comments

Post a Comment