Screen Porch, And Other Bumps In The Road Of Life

9 September 2023

Some heavenly bodies aligned over the past couple of weeks and great progress has been made on the screen porch.

I finished some fascia and soffit detailing.



I made a little more progress on repairs to the walls and windows above the roof.



Then I started working on the extra framing for the screen and screen door, with Amy coming behind me and painting everything.






I also worked on reconfiguring the drainage around the house. My plan is to have the ground roof drain dump into the old well.




Next step, the screen!



And then the screen door.


And just like that, it's done!



Next, we turned our attention to the patio. First comes grading, and removing a lot of stones and rocks.


The the landscape fabric. Our plan is to cover the whole area with some type of gravel.


Before we cover it all, it was time to install our farm bell.


About a month ago, I finally got around to getting our boom lift fixed. One of the hydraulic cylinders was leaking. I removed it, took it in to get repaired, and put it back in the machine. I'm glad I didn't try to tackle this. It looks like the repair shop had a devil of a time getting this cylinder apart.


After a couple cycles up and down, it stopped working. We've spent a lot of time trying to work with NiftyLift to figure out the problem. After many hours and a lot of dollars later, we had gotten nowhere. I finally got in touch with a company called Northern Hydraulics in Montana. They seem confident it's the pump, so we've got one on order.

Last month, our truck Otis needed some TLC. Our neighbors very generously lent me their truck to use while Otis was in the shop.


And a few days ago, our upstairs AC stopped working! At first we thought it was the thermostat, because we've had to replace both of ours already. But I decided to check the capacitor in the outdoor unit first. Good thing I did too.


We were up and running the next day after picking up a new capacitor, and a spare, at our local Cashwell Appliance store.

Comments