Wrapping Up 2018

31 December 2018

On the porch I continued to remove all the broken wood sheathing, rafters, and rafter ties. The band joist broke in two places, one on each side.


I cut out the bad part to splice in some new lumber. The 2x4 is just helping keep things lined up. The joist was already a two layer affair. A 2" board nailed to a 1" board. This made it easy to stagger the ends of my splices to preserve a little strength.


A come-a-long comes in handy for tweaking and adjusting the band joist to get everything as square as I can get it.


Once the band joist is in good shape, I started putting back the reusable pieces and fabricating replacements for the broken parts.



9" of snow. In the Triad. In December. Who would have thought? Not us.

We were caught off guard, and out of town. It was beautiful, and fun, but unexpected. Mother nature snuck up on us and took one more swipe at us before the year is over.

This shelter over the tractor was a total loss.


The fabric on this one is mostly intact. We'll use it to double layer the roof of the shelter for the wood.


The shelter over the wood was in reasonably good shape because the storage racks I had built kept it from completely collapsing. Just a few holes in the fabric roof.



Back on the porch, we still had enough of the old sheathing boards for me to do the north side with all old wood. The boards are 1" thick by 8" wide.


I didn't have much of the old sheathing left for the west side. I used what we had to square up the corner and then finished the rest with two layers of 1/2" plywood.


I covered the sheathing with roofing felt and then the architectural shingles. They're not a very close match to the original shingles, but close enough for me. I didn't want to burn a day running all over town with a sample of a 10 year old shingle trying to find a match. Sam was home and helped me get most of this done in a day. Thanks Sam!



Amy has been hard at working removing all the polyurethane from the floor in what will be the downstairs master bedroom. It's hard to believe that we've only been married for 32 years, and this is what we do for fun. Love you honey!!!


The next step was to flash the top edge of the shingles. Time to put my redneck sheet metal brake to work again.


This isn't done yet. A piece of siding goes back in the bottom row. I'm using screws to attach the bottom two rows of siding so that the flashing can be removed somewhat easily the next time the house gets re-roofed.


I also replaced two siding boards that had been broken by one of the tree branches. You can also see in this picture the way the roofer who put the last roof on installed flashing that covers the last row of siding. It's ugly as all get out and is not a good solution for sealing against water in the long run.


On the last day of 2018 it was raining. Along with some electrical work, I turned my attention to the damage to the second floor roof and started removing some of the radiant barrier.


Beyond the corner of the roof itself, which is basically just gone, several of the roof joists are broken *sigh*.


So long 2018! Hope 2019 treats our house better! Fingers crossed. Tools at the ready.

Comments