"There Are Things We Do Not Know We Don't Know"

19 May 2016

No, I'm not talking about the Iraq war. I'm talking about sewer line trenches. After the septic system inspector and the electrical inspector both made remarks about how deep my sewer line trench was to the plumbing inspector, he stopped by to take a look for himself.



He told me my trenches were MUCH deeper than they needed to be. Apparently the maximum 1/2" drop per foot is more like a "guideline" than a hard and fast rule. That generally you can follow grade (the level of the ground surface) as long as it isn't "too" steep. You want to keep the sewer line somewhat close to the surface in case you have to dig them up to repair them. "Somewhat" equating to roughly 4" - 12" below the surface of the ground Well,this would have been nice to know after 35 hours on the backhoe and many more hours tamping and grading the dirt to my 1/4" drop.



After back-filling most of my work, the sewer line pipes were finally going in.



Near the end of April, we were over 3" below our average rain fall for the year. Didn't bother me much. I can get a lot more done when it's dry. Since then, we have received over 6.6" of rain!



Needless to say, this has put a damper on our progress with the sewer line and water line. Never the less, we continue to push forward when we can. My daughter is home briefly after the end of her freshman year. She and her boyfriend are helping us out. This is the trench from the water meter box to the mobile home location for the new water supply line. It only needs to be 18" below grade.


Typical working conditions for the past couple weeks.


And today our new sewer lines passed inspection!




Now as soon as it's dry enough again, I can cover up the sewer lines and drop some grass seed.

Comments