Dig This

12 March 2016

It's been a short while. The last couple of weeks have been crazy with closing on our old house and moving. The weekend with my daughter and her friends helping was huge. A big thanks to Becka, Blair, Jen, River, Sam, and Travis. Now that the move is over, we're finally able to get back to working on things around the house.

I have started digging on one of the three trenches that we need for the septic system and the mobile home. This first one is for electrical supply for the septic pump and the drain pipe from the house to the septic tank.


It's going reasonably well given then I'm having to learn how to use a backhoe for the first time. Yesterday I got the trench 95% done.


I have to dig under the skirt wall to bring the wires and pipe up in to the crawl space. This has revealed that the skirt wall is supported, more or less, by large slabs of slate (and potsherds!).



I have been finding lots of broken pieces of glass and china all over the place, but I think nearly all of it has been 20th century stuff. These pieces are a little more interesting because they are under the skirt wall foundation and so a reasonably safe bet to be at least late 19th if not mid 19th century.


Perhaps my archaeology friends can shed more light on these items. Or perhaps they're too mundane to give any thought to. I've also had to dig through some soft sandstone areas. More on that later for my geologist friends.

Comments

  1. How does one transport a backhoe from the rental place to the job site or am I completely off track?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment